Have you heard? Probably! It’s everywhere. There’s a great live video on ColourPop’s Instagram that will tell you everything you need to know.
Here’s my assessment:
- The whole line is NOT coming to Sephora. At least, not yet. According to ColourPop’s Sharon Pak and Jordynn Wynn, the release includes limited edition products. This is perfect – it’s a way to introduce ColourPop to a new customer base, and because it’s LE, it’s a way to drive current fans into Sephora (or, more likely, to sephora.com because only select stores will carry the line) to pick up the palette, lip set, etc.
- Ulta already has a bunch of more similarly-aligned, internet-based brands (Dose of Colors, OFRA, etc.) ColourPop stands apart from the current Sephora offerings and joins the ranks of Huda Beauty and Farsali. It makes sense they’d join forces with Sephora.
- It provides an entry-level brand for customers. Currently, Sephora is lacking a more modestly-priced line, other than its own collection. The ColourPop aesthetic is different than the Sephora Collection, so I see them as similar but non-competing.
- It gets people talking about ColourPop NOW. The curated collection isn’t entering the Sephora-sphere until November. So, what happens in the meantime? A few things:
- People who aren’t current ColourPop customers go to the brand’s direct site to explore more about this “new” brand coming into Sephora. Maybe they purchase a few things, or maybe they just start creating a mental list of the products they’d be interested in trying once they hit Sephora.
- Die-hard ColourPop fans flood the ColourPop site to make purchases before anything happens to the current lineup (even though ColourPop has affirmed that prices and formulas will not change).
- And, everyone in between starts talking ColourPop! In the internet circles in which I lurk, I can’t go more than a few minutes before seeing a new post about it. What brilliant, effective marketing.
With all that said, I’m pretty excited to see this development. It’s interesting to see online/”Instagram” brands make their way to larger beauty retailers/e-tailers.
I don’t currently own anything from ColourPop, but I’d be interested to try out a few products in advance of the Sephora release to have a baseline. I welcome recommendations!